Friday, April 17, 2009

Today is the day

I've always thought I have a natural knack for languages, and I've always tried to feed that ability with classes, practice, and the occasional travel experience. I also promised myself that I would be fluent in five languages by the time I turn 30. Up til now, I have Spanish, English, my rusty -but once rather good- French and my mid-level Italian.

When I got the chance to come to Umea University to start my PhD, I thought that Swedish could be my last frontier. The months I spent here last year only left me with a vague feeling of knowing how the language sounds, some basic vocabulary and no grammar knowledge. This time around I listen to the radio and find myself recognizing words or even understanding simple phrases. That started a couple of days ago when I asked for directions to Alison's house and then again when I went to the supermarket and while I didn't say a word, I understood how much to pay, that the dude asked me for an extra crown so I could get a bill instead of coins and I thanked him.

Today, while having coffee with Isabel, Erika and Swedish PhD students, I recognized words, understood the main meaning of the conversation and felt very satisfied. So I am very far from even having a basic command of the Swedish language, but I'm marking today as when my learning started!

No comments: