Sunday, June 21, 2009

Breakfast date

I really don't see as much of my best friend as I would like. It's not our fault though. She's a leader for trekking expeditions in Asia and I'm a PhD student in Sweden. If we are to have real time together, we both have to be in the same country... which makes it difficult from the get go.

In fact, when she turned 25, it had been over two years since we last saw each other (she's now 27). We decided after that big a bout that we would make an effort to hang out at least once a year -and have done it successfully these last couple of years. Now, she's training to climb Everest -as part of the seven peaks thing- and she's here to get a visa stamped on her passport. She's here for five days.

In her hectic timetable, we managed to fit in Sunday brunch. So over waffles, strawberries and black tea we caught up. We laughed, made fun of people that were not necessarily around and talked about boys, life and everything we could fit in about 90 minutes. She's coming back in October, for the whole month, but I won't be here. This means I'll be missing a visit from her and from Alejandro.

-The things one sacrifices for school.

2 comments:

alejandro said...

I wonder how you managed to have so many friends in the 'wrong' places?

I guess is the price you pay for 'cosmopolitanism'.

AL Ruano said...

Is this cynicism I sense? :P