Sunday, November 9, 2008

To be fourteen...

After my Sunday morning ritual of reading the paper from cover to cover I decided to do some work. After working, and because my computer was already on, I decided to watch something on surfthechannel.com. I stumbled accross 'my so-called life'. I remember that show from when I was just starting my teen years. In fact, I remember seeing it first on ABC and then on MTv.

Oh, I remember Jordan, Ricky, Angela and RyAnne (although I'm not sure how you spell her name). So I loaded up the first episode and decided to watch. It all came back to me, feeling so out of place, so different, like I had changed so much while still looking the same. I remembered how badly I wanted to be special and shine. I remembered what its like to be a teenager. It was so hard, figuring out the world, what was beyond my family, my friends, and my school.

I have to say it is an amazing show. It spoke to a generation and made its mark within all of us who were lucky enough to see it and it did it in only onse season. My so-called life was an amazing experiment of looking at life through the eyes of the fourteen year old girl we all wish we were.

2 comments:

Robin Chancer said...

My So-Called Life is my favorite show of all time!! It is so real and raw. I have never quite forgiven them for taking it off the air. I think a lot of us still feel some of that lostness and angst.

AL Ruano said...

I know! I cant' believe it lasted only one season! I love the way Angela talks, like a girl, not like an adult. That what is so amazing.