Friday, June 18, 2010

A Swedish sock

Every year, I set some personal and professional goals for myself. Last year I wanted to do most of the fieldwork for my thesis, submit my first paper and take most of the class credits I need for my PhD.Those were my school/professional ones.I accomplished all of them and are well on my way for 2010!

Among my personal goals was learning how to knit a sock. I've always loved knitting, but one can only make so many scarfs and other 'flat knitting things'. This year, when my advisers came to visit me in Guatemala I got surprise: my new adviser Kj would gladly teach me once we were both in Umea.

So I started. I had much to learn because I had never used five needles at the same time. However, practice and perseverance go a long way. Today, while on the plane to Bergen I finished my first sock EVER! It won't have a partner, as it was just a practice run, but I am very proud of myself and can't wait to do many, many more!

No comments: