Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Swedish connection

I am firm believer in the influence that the environment has on us. I often wonder how different my life would we if my family had stayed in the US, or if I had been born in a rural little town in Guatemala. Would I still be a sociologist? would I still have this need to be cynical, critical, sarcastic, and a little irreverent? The same also goes for my likes and dislikes... would they be the same? No one knows. I certainly don't.

And so, the lattest influence in my life comes from my brief stint in Sweden. One thing I discovered among the snow, elk and prinsesstarta was the lagom lifestyle. In one way or another, I think I have always strived for balance. However, I never realized how easy it could be until I experienced the quiet, full life that most Swedes enjoy. 

Because of lagom, I am now trying to balance having an active and fulfilling work life and a full, satisfactory private life. I might be stumbling a little bit, but I have to say that turning off the computer at a set time, having time for friends, family and myself has been a great treat. I think that for the first time in my life I can actually say that I know myself and understand more about me as a scientist, a person and a friend than ever before. 

So I will go back to enjoying a work-free Sunday, secure in the knowledge that I am a better person for that. As a note, my next big Swedish import is going to be the fika. Stay tuned for kladdkaka and fun, coming soon!

No comments: